New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships from 2017 are now open through Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) (Scholarships Division), New Zealand. The New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships are prestigious scholarships for people from developing countries to study in New Zealand. This scholarship is intended to foster and build potential leaders, as well as equipping individuals with skills and knowledge to benefit their home country. The scholarships are tenable at selected universities in New Zealand. The Ministry of Education, Kenya is the Nominating Agency for Kenyan applicants. The scholarships are for a Master’s Degree (1 – 2 years) or PhD (up to 3.5 years)
Eligibility, preference factors and priority sectors
Applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria and the conditions set out by MFAT in the website
- demonstrate a strong academic ability, leadership qualities, and a commitment to the development of their home country;
- are 39 years of age or younger at the time of commencing their scholarship;
- apply to study in areas relating to one or more of their country’s priority sectors;
- Gender balance will also be a consideration in final selection decisions.
In order to best meet the human resource needs identified by the New Zealand Aid Programme, each nominated applicant’s choice of study must directly align to the priority sectors for their country and region. For Kenya, the priority areas are:
- Agricultural Development
- Renewable Energy
Application and Selection Process
- The application form can be downloaded and printed from the MFAT website:www.mfat.govt.nz/en/aid-and-development/scholarships/types-of-scholarships/
- Applications must be sent by candidates directly to the nominating agency by 30th March 2017 with a personal cover letter. Applications sent directly to MFAT (not via the nominating agency) will be declined. Completed application forms with attached certified photocopies of ID, academic/professional certificates, transcripts, Birth Certificate, other testimonials should be sent to:
Director – University Education,
Ministry of Education,
P O Box 9583 – 00200,
OR delivered to Telposta Towers, 27th floor Room 2702
- Only shortlisted applicants (who shall be informed through e-mail /phone call) 0771842051 or 0773825305 shall be invited for interview.
4. MFAT will be in direct contact with applicants on the outcome of their application. Preferred applicants will be notified by 11 October, 2017.